1. There’s no such thing as a “safe” or “healthy” tan. Don’t get conned by tanning salons’ talk about vitamin D and a “healthy glow” You can get all the vitamin D from a healthy diet or vitamin supplement (that won’t give you cancer). Tanning to get Vitamin D is like smoking cigarettes to relax!
2. Tanning can make you look old! Every time you tan, you speed up your body’s wrinkling process, so people will think you’re a “cougar” when you’re out with your guy, instead of his hip, hot girlfriend. Who wants to look leathery and shriveled when you’re young and gorgeous?!
3. Tanning and Melanoma are joined at the Hip! OF COURSE the tanning industry is going to say that there’s no link between tanning and melanoma – they’re trying to make money! The fact is, using tanning beds before age 35 increases your risk of developing melanoma by 75 percent! Just one blistering sunburn can double your chances of developing melanoma. Does that sound like a “healthy” tan to you?
4. Skin Cancer doesn’t wait for you to get old to strike. Melanoma is the second most common type of cancer in teens and young adults and is the leading cause of cancer death in women 25 to 30 years old. Increasing cancer rates is NOT the trend you want to keep up with.
5. Skin Cancer – Not just for blondes and redheads! Melanoma doesn’t discriminate – it strikes men and women of all ages, races, and skin tones. In fact, reggae musician Bob Marley died in 1981 of melanoma at the age of 36. Regardless of your skin color, you have an increased chance of developing melanoma if you’ve got a lot of moles (more than 50).